Asteroid 37117 Narcissus is a Jupiter crossing asteroid with an erratic orbit, spending longer than a year in one sign, depending on retrogrades. Please check out serennu and the resources there if you wish to locate asteroid Narcissus and his present location.
In Ancient Greek mythology, Narcissus was a beautiful young man, who was wildly popular with the ladies and nymphs of the lands. We remember Echo, the ‘Hera’ cursed nymph who followed Narcissus through the woods, ultimately pitching herself into his arms, only to be spurned and ignored by the self-involved gent. Heart-broken, Echo then wailed through the hills until she perished, leaving only her voice as a lingering memory of her existence. It is said, that on her death bed, Echo’s last wish was that Narcissus be punished for his arrogant rejection of her affections. She prayed to Nemesis for it to be so and in response, the Dark Goddess cast a curse on Narcissus, exposing him for the first time, via a pool of water, to his very own reflection. So captivated by his own beauty, Narcissus froze to the spot, staring admiringly at what he deemed perfection incarnate. Once he realized that who stared back at him was none other than himself, and the reality dawned that the only true love and attraction he had ever felt, was for himself – he tore at his clothing and bashed at his body until his life force slipped into the other realm. Echo sees and takes pity on him, pitching his soul to the depths of Hades, and planting the seed of the Narcissus flower, so that the Earth can enjoy his beauty to this day.
To locate asteroid 37117 in your natal chart, head over to astro.com and input the numbers 37117 in the additional objects field. Keep your orbs tight, no more than 1-2 degree.
In your natal chart, asteroid Narcissus opens up a psychological and egotistical can of worms. Obviously, it is a place in your chart, where you are intended to find a balanced level of ‘healthy narcissism’. Ego and it’s expression is the crux of psychological exploration. Freud and Jung were pioneers in this field, exploring and explaining the world of narcissism and its sexual, personal and social expressions. To quote wiki, in a perfect world, your natal Narcissus should operate in the following manner:-
Healthy narcissism is formed through a structural truthfulness of the self, achievement of self and object constancy, synchronization between the self and the superego and a balance between libidinal and aggressive drives (the ability to receive gratification from others and the drive for impulse expression). Healthy narcissism forms a constant, realistic self-interest and mature goals and principles and an ability to form deep object relations. A feature related to healthy narcissism is the feeling of greatness. This is used to avoid feelings of inadequacy or insignificance.
To further quote wiki, these are the psychological factors for a negative imbalance of one’s Narcissis:-
Campbell and Foster (2007)  review the literature on narcissism. They argue that narcissists possess the following ‘basic ingredients’:
- Positive. Narcissists think they are better than others.
- Inflated. Narcissists’ views tend to be contrary to reality. In measures which compare self-report to objective measures, narcissists’ self-views tend to be greatly exaggerated.
- Agentic. Narcissists’ views tend to be most exaggerated in the agentic domain, relative to the communion domain.
- Special. Narcissists perceive themselves to be unique and special people.
- Selfish. Research upon narcissists’ behaviour in resource dilemmas supports the case for narcissists as being selfish.
- Oriented toward success. Narcissists are oriented towards success by being, for example, approach oriented 
Hotchkiss identified what she called the seven deadly sins of narcissism:
- Shamelessness – Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.
- Magical thinking – Narcissists see themselves as perfect using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.
- Arrogance – A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.
- Envy – A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person’s ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.
- Entitlement – Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Any failure to comply will be considered an attack on their superiority and the perpetrator is considered to be an “awkward” or “difficult” person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.
- Exploitation – can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.
- Bad Boundaries – narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist will be treated as if they are part of the narcissist and be expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist, there is no boundary between self and other.
and the lists literally do go on. Please explore this topic more at your own leisure as it is all very interesting.
No doubt, you have found yourself expressing the above listed behaviours and are not a fully fledged ‘narcissist’, and experienced likewise behaviours directed towards you, without having to classify the other individual as psychological damaged. Much that is listed is normal within life evolution. It is whether the behaviour is a continued and unrecognized pattern that it becomes a problem. Exploring chart data, Ted Bundy, the attractive, unsuspecting serial killer, experiences Narcissus trine Neptune, square Psyche and conjunct the Gemini North Node. Ana Nicole Smith felt Narcissus sextile Eros and Klotho, but also experienced him the heaviest with the conjunction to natal Venus and Panacea. Freud himself actually experienced Narcissus conjunct asteroid Child and Hitler – sextile Moon and Panacea, with Narcissist square Circe and Osiris and also experiencing an opposition with natal Poseidon.
Rulership of natal Narcissus will be most telling as to the nature of his influence. Keywords relating to the sign involved will reveal choices in expression, where aspects will reveal pressure points. For instance, the conjunction will indicate pressure from self, the square – matters involving events will effect self, whereas the opposition will indicate pressure force from others raising Narcissus matters.
In transit, Narcissus will indicate challenging times where ego issues are raised and it is paramount to find a healthy balance, be honest about self behaviour and recognise unhealthy patterns within relationships. One can state that aspects to natal Narcissus are pivotal moments in self evolution, where decisions made regards future intentions can be quite karmic.
Possible Keywords:- ego, health of ego, ego evolution, arrogance, selfishness, self focus, self dislike, insecurities, blame of others, self denial, lack of empathy, emotional coldness, sexual issues, manipulation of others, lack of boundaries, victim-hood, envy of others
Artwork – Caravaggio
© Karen Piscitelli